Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Real Deal, Interview with Dr. Eddith Dashiell

I missed my chance to sit down with Eddith Dashiell; I hope we can make that up soon.

She was kind enough to answer these questions in her free time, which--due to her devotional lifestyle-- she has precious little of...Watching her play and training with her reveal a composed and focused individual who loves the game.  She is a credit to the Athens Women's Soccer League and this community.

"Don’t be afraid to try something new; don’t give up (it will get easier);  and remember to have fun."  E. Dashiell




Happy Sunday,
Eddith
 1)      What is your full name?
 
Eddith Anita Dashiell

2) Tell us about your past before coming to OU?
Can you add in to number 2  a bit about what you presently do for OU. too? 
I grew up in Shelbyville, TN.  After college I worked as a radio news reporter.  I went back to school to earn my Ph.D. so that I could teach broadcast journalism and media law at the college level.  In 1992 I moved to Athens, OH to be a faculty member in the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University.  I am currently the associate director in the School of Journalism.


2)      Can you tell us a bit about your local family?  I know you have some soccer players our readers would like to hear about?
I have no “blood-relations” living with me in Athens--almost all of them are still in Tennessee.  But I have been “adopted” into the Carr family where I am the godmother to Kaliq and Rhys.
3)      Can you tell us about your travel and work with your church?
I am a member of Living Water Worship Center in Albany.  For the past 9 years I have traveled to El Salvador each summer to work with a children mission .  CEDEINFA  is celebrating its 10th anniversary in June and I will be there.   The organization has grown tremendously since it was first created.  CEDEINFA has helped children in the “poorest of the poorest” communities in San Salvador get back into school.  I help get sponsors for the children.  It is amazing how far $15 a month will go to help these children get the food, school materials and medical supplies they need to have a chance at a better life.  Most of the children I began sponsoring in 2005 were not even going to school. Nine years later--not only have they finished high school,--most of them are now in college.  CEDEINFA also provides meals and free health care to the needy.  Its newest project is helping the kids who are living in the streets of San Salvador by providing a house where they can sleep, eat and take a shower in safety.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4)      How long have you played soccer?
I started playing with the women’s rec league in 2010.
5)      What did you know about soccer before you started to play?  Or how had you been exposed to the game?  Any early memories?
Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  I had never watched a game. When I was in school, there was no soccer.  My first game with the women’s soccer league in 2010 was the first time I had ever tried to kick a soccer ball.  In fact, being on the women’s rec league was also the first time I had ever tried to play a team sport.

6)      Can you tell us about your team and what position you play?
This year my team is the Motley Gang (orange shirts).   Usually I play forward because someone told me that I was a “natural striker” and I believed him.
7)      Can you say a bit about your development as a player? Specifically, what have you done to get better? Has it had an impact on your game?  Your attitude to the game?  Your emotional or physical well being?
Our team does not have regular practices.  Since the only thing I knew about soccer was not to touch the ball with my hands, I definitely needed some help.  I would meet with Coach Albano for extra--Individual-- training.  Through these training sessions I learned more about the strategy behind the game and some techniques to make me a better player.  I still do not know all the Laws, but I am more confident about where I need to be on the field to help my teammates and what I need to do to try to make a goal.  (Occasionally, I actually make one!)  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click here to read a second blogpost featuring Eddith D.
 http://howtosoccerblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/learning-soccer-ball-support.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m not as intimidated now as I was when I first started playing—especially with women who had been playing almost all of their lives.  At my age, learning something new and even getting better at it, is an "emotional rush" for me.  I feel a lot younger than I am.
I have also learned more about the game by watching my godsons play.   My godson, Kaliq, played on the high school soccer team for one season.  When I would come out to the fields to watch his younger brother Rhys play soccer, I would eavesdrop on the coaches to pick up tips on where to be on the field in certain situations.   Now when I go to El Salvador, I actually watch soccer (futbol) with my Salvadoran friends. 
8)      If you had one message to a ten year old as a person or as a player, what would it be?
Don’t be afraid to try something new; don’t give up (it will get easier);  and remember to have fun.
9)      What number shirt do you wear or would you like to wear and why?
My original team was the Motley Gang with pink shirts and my number was 28 because my birthday is on the 28th (of October).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Eddith A. Dashiell
Associate Director
E. W. Scripps School of Journalism
Schoonover 232
Ohio University
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Thank you Dr. Eddith. 

How To Soccer wishes you continued success on the pitch and in life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment