Sunday, March 10, 2013

College Showcase Tournament--Photoessay




For this Referee these games start the night before.  I read the rules, pack the bags, and plan the day.  These activities prepare my mental state for the action and the energy.

 

 

 

Garmin eTrex 20 Hiking GPS Receiver - ETREX20 (Google Affiliate Ad)





 

After waking to an alarm, I am in the vehicle for 130 miles till I get to the park where today's assignments will be played.










 

 

 

 

Field 1: My field

All of these fields have been cleared of snow, and the surfaces are artificial; otherwise, this would be a mud bog. 

 

 

 

 

Inside the heated Referee tent, we prepare our equipment and cover the officials' pregame talk.  It is here that later I will be asked to stay and work the night game.

 

 




 

A Look Inside a Referee's Kit.

Referees like to collect items showing where the game has taken them.

 

 



 

Before my first game, I assess the grounds.

 

 



 

 

A friend is on the field next to mine.  Looks like he's got his lot under control for now...

 

 

 

Before the night game, I manage to capture just a slice of the girls soccer talent at these games.

 

This video happens moments before my last kickoff. A few match minute tracker notes appear below.




  • :03 Green Long Throw-In over the head of white defender and into space down the line.
  • :05 White central defender slides over to clear, but clears to green.
  • :13 Green re-attacks the same space by sending a chipped ball down the line to her team mate.
  • :15 green settles the ball and pulls the ball behind the lead leg to beat her defender and attack the space behind the defense.
  • :20 Green team mate checks to the ball from a central position, and shoots with the left foot.

 

After a long day we head back to our vehicles.  Some will return at 8AM for Day 2.

 

 

I need to follow my friend out of the park and back to the highway, and he has forgotten to wait.  As I rush to my vehicle, my camera captures the haste of the life of a Referee on the road.

 



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment